Document Type : Articles
1 Associate professor, Research Center for Pharmaceutical Nanotechnology, Tabriz University of Medical Sciences, Tabriz, Iran
2 Asien-Afrika-Institut, Hamburg University, Hamburg, Germany
3 Pharmacology and Toxicology Department, Faculty of Pharmacy, Tabriz University of Medical Science, Tabriz, Iran
4 Medical Information Science Department, Paramedical Faculty, Tabriz University of Medical Sciences, Tabriz, Iran
Biological marker is a term used in many scientific fields and was introduced as a measurable element or a clinical indicator in the abnormal biological processes, pathological condition, or pharmacological intervention. Science Citation Index Expanded (SCI-E) from database of Web of Science (WoS) was used to extract all publication indexed as a topic of “Biomarkers” during a period of eleven years through 2000-2010. Extracting of data was restricted to the tag of topics (TS = Biomarkers) from advanced search menu. A total number of 37397 records were extracted on 5 May 2013 and went under analysis. In this study the papers originated jointly by multiple authors from different countries were defined as ones for each country. The study showed that the number of publication in the field of biomarkers showed an increase through the period of study. The number of publication in 2010 was greater than 10 times in 2000. More than 98% of publication was in English. The majority of publication (68%) was in the form journal article. Harvard University, sharing 1,128 papers in the field, was the most prolific university among institutes. The USA contributing 33% of world’s profile in the field was the most productive country. Based on the Bradford’s scattering law, the journal of “Cancer Epidemiology Biomarkers Prevention” publishing 3.12% of world’s publication was the most prolific journal among core journals. Analysis of data concluded that oncology was the most interesting subject area of scientists in the field of Biomarkers through the last decade.
- Au, W. W. (2007). Usefulness of biomarkers in population studies From exposure to susceptibility and to prediction of cancer. International Journal of Hygiene and environmental Health, 210 (3-4), 239-246.
- Beveren, N. J. and Hoogendijk, W. J. (2011). Clinical Utility of Serum biomarkers for major Psychiatric disorders. International Review of Neurobiology, 101, 351-374.
- Biglu, M. H. (2008). Scientometric study of patent literature in MEDLINE and SCI. Doctoral dissertation, Humboldt-Universität zu Berlin, Institut für Bibliotheks-und Informationswissenschaft.
- Biglu, M. H. (2007). The editorial policy of languages is being changed in MEDLINE. ACIMED 16 (3).
- Biomarkers-Definitions-Working-Group. (2001). Biomarkers and surrogate endpoints: preferred definitions and conceptual framework. Inernational Journal of Clinical Pharmacoogy andl Therapeutics, 69(3), 89-95.
- Cazzola, M., and Novelli, G. (2010). Biomarkers in COPD. Pulm Pharmacol Ther, 23(6), 493-500.
- Cummings, J. L. (2011). Biomarkers in Alzheimer's disease drug development. Alzheimer's and Dementia, 7(3), e13-e44.
- Eason, C. and Halloran, K. O. (2002). Biomarkers in toxicology versus ecological risk assessment. Toxicology, 181,182, 517-521.
- Ganti, S. and Weiss, R. H. (2011). Urine metabolomics for kidney cancer detection and biomarker discovery. Urol Oncol: Seminars and Original Investigations, 29(5), 551-557.
- Garea, A. V., Griese, M., and Imhof, A. (2007). Biomarker discovery from body fluids using mass spectrometry. J Chromatogr B Analyt Technol Biomed Life Sci, 849(1-2), 105-114.
- Goo, Y. A. (2010). Advances in proteomic prostate cancer biomarker discovery. J Proteome, 73(10), 1839-1850.
- Gormally, E., Caboux, E., Vineis, P., and Hainaut, P. (2007). Circulating free DNA in plasma or serum as biomarker of carcinogenesis Practical aspects and biological significance. Mutat Res, 635(2-3), 105-117.
- He, Z., and Yu, W. (2012). Stable feature selection for biomarker discovery. Computational Biology and Chemistry, 34(4), 215-225.
- Kraus, V., Burnett, B., Coindreau, J., Cottrell, S., Eyre, D., and Gendreau, M. (2011). Application of biomarkers in the development of drugs intended for the treatment of osteoarthritis. Osteoarthr Cartilage, 19(4), 215-542.
- Lobdell, D. T. and Mendola, P. (2005). Development of a biomarkers database for the National Children's Study. Toxicology and Applied Pharmacology, 206(2), 269-273.
- Mayeux, R. (2004). Biomarkers: Potential Uses and Limitations. NeuroRx, 1(2), 182-188.
- Schaaij-Visser, T. B., Brakenhoff, R. H., Leemans, C. R., Heck, A. J., and Slijper, M. (2010). Protein biomarker discovery for head and neck cancer. Journal of Proteome , 73(10), 1790-1803.
- Suspiro, A., and Prista, J. (2011). Biomarkers of occupational exposure do anticancer agents: A minireview. Toxicol Lett, 207(1), 42-52.
- Vainio, H. (2001). Use of biomarkers in risk assessment. International Journal of Hygiene and environmental Health, 204(2-3), 91-102.
- Wehrens, R., Franceschi, P., Vrhovsek, U., and Mattivi, F. (2011). Stability-based biomarker selection. Analytica Chimica Acta, 705(1-2), 15-23.