Document Type : Articles
1 School of Health Management and Information Sciences, Tehran University of Medical Sciences, Tehran, Iran
2 Medical library and Information Sciences Tehran University of Medical Sciences, Tehran, Iran
3 School of Health Management and Information Sciences, Tehran University of Medical Sciences, Tehran, Iran
4 NiloofarMohagheghSchool of Health Management and Information Sciences, Tehran University of Medical Sciences, Tehran, Iran
The purpose of this study was to evaluate the web pages of Islamic World Science Citation Center (ISC), the Islamic Countries SCI using Nielsen`s Heuristic Principles and was performed during September 2012. Among Nielsen`s 10 usability heuristic principles, five were covered. Five professional evaluators were asked to evaluate the database using Nielsen`s five criteria. The total average of severity rating of database problem was calculated 1.008 which stated minor problems in overall look of the database. According to this study, strengths and weaknesses of the WebPages of Islamic Countries SCI of ISC database were discovered which might be used by beneficiary groups like database designers.
- Abbaspour, J. (2006). User interface evaluation of Irandoc (Master thesis). Tarbiat Modarres University, Tehran.
- Abran, A., Khelifi, A., & Suryn, W. (2003). Usability meanings and interpretations in ISO standards. Software Quality Journal, 11(4), 325-338.
- Alijani, R., & Dehghani, L. (2007). Comparison of user interface of international ebook Databases.Faslname-Ketab, 72, 233-252.
- Azami, M., & Fatahi, R. (2009). Adaption of databases graphical user interface with the Elis model of information behavior. Science and information technology, 25(2), 247-265.
- Bautista, J. (2010). Students perseptive on university website usability: An evaluation(PhD. Dissertation).Pepperdine University, Malibu, CA.
- Buchanan, S., & Salako, A. (2009). Evaluating the usability and usefulness of a digital library. Library Review, 58(9), 638-651.
- Cherry, J. M., Williamson, N. J., Jones-Simmons, C.R.,& Gu, X. (1994). OPACs in twelve Canadian academic libraries: An evaluation of functional capabilities and interface features. Information Technology and Libraries, 13(3), 174-195.
- Fatahi, R., & Entezarian, N. (2009). User perceptions assessment of databases(RICeST and Irandoc) user interface using Nielsen`s model. Library and Information Science, 12 (3), 43-64.
- Fruhling,A. L. V. (2003). An empirical study of human-computer interaction usability factors affecting perceptions of trust of E-health consumers(PhD.Dissertation). University of Nebraska, Omaha.
- Hasanpour Moayeni, Z. (2008). Evaluation of childrens international digital library user interface in the view of users (Master’s thesis). Alzahra University, Tehran.
- Islamic WorldScience Citation Center. (2012). Retrieved fromhttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Islamic_World_Science_Citation_Database
- Jeng, J. (2005). What is usability in the context of the digital library and how can it be measured?.Information Technology and Libraries, 24(2), 47-56.
- Manzari, L., & Trindad-christensen, J. (2006). User-centered design of a website for library and information science students: Heuristic evaluation and usability testing. Information Technology and Libraries, 25(3), 163-169.
- Mehrad, J., & Naseri, M. (2010). The Islamic World Science Citation Center: A new scientometrics system for evaluating research performance in OIC region. International Journal of Information Science and Management, 8(2), 1-10.
- Mehrad, J., & Zahedi, z. (2007). User interface assessment and comparison of RLST and Irandoc with Elsevier, Emerald, Ebsco, and Proquest. Library and Information Science, 10(3), 107-124.
- Nielsen, J. (1993). Usability Engineering. California: Morgan Kaufmann.
- Nielsen, J. (1995). How to rate te severity of usability problems. Retrieved from http://www.useit.com/papers/heuristic/severityrating.html.
- Nielsen, J., & Loranger, H. (2006). Prioritizing web usability. Berkeley: New Readers Press.
- Oulanov, A. (2008). Business administration students perception of usability of the business source premier database: A case study. The Electronic Library, 26(4), 505-519.
- Oulanov, A., & Pajarillo, E. J. Y. (2001). Usability evaluation of the city university of NewYork CUNY+ database. The Electronic Library, 19(2), 84-91.
- Tsakonas, G., & Papatheodorou, C. (2008). Exploring usefulness and usability in the evaluation of open access digital libraries. Information Processing and Management, 44(3), 1234-1250.
- Usability. (2012). Retrieved from the usability wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usability
- Yamin Firooz, M. (2002). Features and elements of compounding user interface in websites. Faslname-Ketab, 56, 159-168.
- Yushiana, M., & Widyawati, A. R. (2007). Heuristic evaluation of interface usability for a web-based OPAC. Library Hi Tech, 25(4), 538-549.
- Zerehsaz, M., & Fatahi, R. (2006). Essencial consideration on designing the user interface of copmputerized systems and databases. Faslname-Ketab, 66, 251-268.