Document Type : Articles
Islamic Azad University South Tehran Branch
Islamic Azad University Central Tehran Branch
If today's organizations are not able to adopt themselves with environmental changes, they will lose the competition. In such a condition, organizations are in need of leaders who are capable of turning their companies into one having more ability to progress and even to survive in those situations. Transformational leaders guide organization from present to the future and apply suitable changes to support the organization's objectives. Besides, knowledge management is a crucial influential factor in helping organizations survive and gain success in such a competitive environment and in this Information Age. Also, considering the fact that leaders play the role of a sample for others, their leadership style is directly influential in organization's tendency and manner of facing processes and steps of knowledge management. Therefore, this article intends to find the relationship between transformational leadership and knowledge management in Alvan Sabet Company. For this purpose, having done a revision of the existing literature on the field, we established five main hypotheses and four sub-hypotheses. To test the research hypotheses we have used questionnaires having been distributed among the population. The population of this research includes all the experts and masters of Alvan Sabet Co. totally being 47 in number. Regarding limitation in population size we have used census method in this research. We've made use of descriptive statistics technique to analyze demographic variables and to investigate the hypotheses, we have used Pearson Solidarity Test and Spearman. The result shows that the correlation between the transformational leadership style and knowledge management has been 0.784 which is considerably high.
- Abdul-Rahman, H., & Wang, C. (2010). Preliminary approach to improve knowledge management in engineering management. Scientific Research and Essays, 5( 15), 1950-1964.
- Amitay, M., Popper, M., & Lipshitz, R. (2006). Leadership styles and organizational learning in community clinics. Learn Organ, 12(1), 57–70.
- Aragon-Correa J.A., Garcia-Morales, V. J., & Cordon-Pozo, E. (2007). Leadership and organizational learning's role on innovation and performance: lessons from Spain. Journal of Industrial Marketing Management, 36 (3), 349–359.
- Avolio, B.J., Bass, B. M., & Jung, D. I. (1999), Re-examining the components of transformational and transactional leadership using the multi-factor leadership questionnaire. Journal of Occupational and Organizational Psychology, 72 (4), 441-62.
- Bass, B.M. (1985). Leadership and performance beyond expectations. New York: Free Press.
- Bass, B.M., Avolio, B.J., Jung, D.I., & Berson, Y. (2003). Predicting unit performance by assessing transformational and transactional leadership. The Journal of Applied Psychology , 88, 207–218.
- Bass, B.M., & Riggio, R.E. (2006). Transformational leadership (2nd ed.). Mahwah, NJ: Lawrence Erlbaum Associates Publishers.
- Bell De Tienne, K., Dyer, G., Hoopes, C., & Harris,S. (2004). Toward a model of effective knowledge management and directions for future research: Culture, leadership, and CKOs. Journal of Leadership and Organizational Studies, 10 ( 4), 26-43.
- Birasnav, M., Rangnekar, S., & Dalpati, A. (2011). Transformational leadership and human capital benefits: The role of knowledge management. Leadership & Organization Development Journal, 32( 2), 106 – 126.
- Bryant, S.E. (2003). The role of transformational and transactional leadership in creating, sharing and exploiting organizational knowledge. Leadership & Organizational Studies, 9 ( 4), 32-44.
- Burns, J.M. (1978). Leadership. New York: Harper & Row.
- Cacioppe, R. (2000). Leadership moment by moment. Leadership and Organization Development Journal, 18 (7), 335-345.
- Canter,U., Joel, K., & Schmidt, T. (2009). The use of knowledge management by German innovators. Journal of Knowledge Management, 13 (4), 187-203.
- Chen L.Y. (2006). Relationship between leadership behaviors and knowledge sharing in professional service firms engaged in strategic alliances. Journal of Applied Management and Entrepreneurship, 11( 2), 51-70
- Chua, A.Y.K., & Goh, D.H. (2008). Untying the knot of knowledge management measurement: A study of six public service agencies in Singapore. Journal of Information Science , 34 ( 3), 259-74.
- Crawford, C.B. (1998). Social cognition and leadership: Implications for organizational innovation ( Dissertation Abstracts International). Ann Arbor, MI.
- Crawford, C. B., & Strohkirch, C. S. (2002). Leadership education and management of knowledge organizations: an overview. Journal of Leadership Education, 1 (2), 18-33. Retrieved from www. fhsu.edu/jole/index.html
- Crawford, C.B., Gould, L.V., & Scott, R.F. (2003). Transformational leader as champion and techie: Implications for leadership educators. Journal of Leadership Education, 2(1), 57-73. Retrieved from www.fhsu.edu/jole/index.html
- Crawford, C.B. (2005). Effects of transformational leadership and organizational position on knowledge management. Journal of Knowledge Management, 9 (6), 6-16.
- David Analoui, B., Hannah Doloriert, C., & Sambrook, S. (2013). Leadership and knowledge management in UK ICT organisations. Journal of Management Development, 32 (1), 4-17.
- Goldoni, V., & Oliveira, M. (2010). Knowledge management metrics in software development companies in Brazil. Journal of Knowledge Management, 14 ( 2), 301-313.
- Goudarzvandchegini, M. (2011). Knowledge management and transformational leadership in organizational success. International Journal of Information and Education Technology, 1(5), 377-379.
- Hislop, D. (2009). Knowledge management in organizations, 2nd ed. Oxford: Oxford University Press.
- Jennex M.E. (2005). Knowledge management in modern organizations. Hershey: Idea Group Publishing.
- Kakabadse, N.K., Kakabadse, A., & Kouzmin, A. (2003). Reviewing the knowledge management literature: Towards a taxonomy. Journal of Knowledge Management , 7 (4), 75-91.
- Kark, R., Shamir, B., & Chen, G. (2003). The two faces of transformational leadership: Empowerment and dependency. Journal of Applied Psychology, 88 ( 2), 246-55.
- Lakshman, C. (2009). Organizational knowledge leadership. Leadership and Organization Development Journal , 30 ( 4), 338.
- Lakshman, C. (2007). Organizational knowledge leadership: A grounded theory approach. Leadership & Organization Development Journal, 28 ( 1), 51-75.
- Mahmoudsalehi, M., & Moradkhannejad, R. (2012). How knowledge management is affected by organizational structure. The Learning Organization, 19 ( 6), 518-528.
- Margaryan, A., Milligan, C., & Littlejohn, A. (2011). Validation of davenport’s classification structure of knowledge-intensive processes. Journal of Knowledge Management, 15 (4), 568-581.
- Nemanich, L.A., & Keller, R.T. (2007). Transformational leadership in an acquisition: A field study of employees. The Leadership Quarterly, 18 (1), 49-68.
- Newman, B., & Conrad, K.W. (1999). A framework for characterizing knowledge management methods, practices, and technologies. Paper presented at the Third International Conference on practical Aspects of Knowledge Management, Basel, Switzerland.
- Nguyen, H.N., & Mohamed, S. (2011). Leadership behaviors, organizational culture and knowledge management practices: An empirical investigation. Journal of Management Development , 30 ( 2), 206-221.
- Nonaka, I., & Takeuchi, H. (1995). The knowledge-creating company. New York: Oxford Press.
- Noruzi, A., Majazi Dalfard, V. Azhdari, B., Nazari-Shirkouhi, S., & Rezazadeh, A. (2013). Relations between transformational leadership, organizational learning, knowledge management, organizational innovation, and organizational performance: An empirical investigation of manufacturing firms. The International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology, 64 (5-8), 1073–1085.
- Nwagbara, U. (2010). Towards a paradigm shift in the Niger delta: Transformational leadership change in the era of post amnesty deal. Journal of Sustainable Development in Africa, 12 (3), 387-401.
- Pathirage, C. P., Amaratunga, D. G., & Haigh R. P. (2007). Tacit knowledge and organizational performance: construction industry perspective. Journal of Knowledge Management, 11 (1), 115-126.
- Plessis, M. (2005). Drivers of knowledge management in the corporate environment. International Journal of Information Management, 25 (3), 193-202.
- Podsakoff, P.M., MacKenzie, S.B., & Bommer, W.H. (1996). Transformational leader behaviors and substitutes for leadership as determinants of employee satisfaction, commitment, trust, and organizational citizenship behaviors. Journal of Management, 22
- (2), 259-298.
- Politis, J.D. (2001). The relationship of various leadership styles and knowledge management. Leadership & Organization Development Journal, 22 ( 8), 354-64.
- Robbins, S.P., Judge, T.A., & Sanghi, S. (2009). Organizational behaviour (13th ed). New Delhi: Doring Kindersley pvt. Ltd.
- Schepers, J., Wetzels, M., & de Ruyter, K. (2005). Leadership styles in technology acceptance: Do followers practice what leaders preach?. Managing Service Quality, 15 (6), 496-508.
- Seaver, D.S. (2010). Effect of transformational leadership in a crosscultural organization: A case study (Ph.D. Dissertation). Capella University.
- Siemieniuch, C.E., & Sinclair, M.A. (2004). A framework for organizational readiness for knowledge management. Emerald Group Publishing.
- Smith, R. (2001). A roadmap for knowledge management. Journal of Knowledge Management. Retrieved from www2.gca.org/knowledgetechnologies/2001/proceedings.
- Tikhomirova, N, Gritsenko, A. , & Pechenkin, A. (2008). University approach to knowledge management. Publisher of Emerald Group Publishing Limited, 38 (1), 16-21.
- Vincent, C. (2006). Leadership in a knowledge society: An examination of the relationship between perceptions of leadership and knowledge management actions using a social action theory approach (Ph.D. Dissertation Abstract).United State District of Columbia: The George Washington University.
- Yang, D. (2011). The effect of knowledge management on product innovation evidence from the Chinese software outsourcing vendors. iBusiness, 3, 16-22.
- Yukl, G. (2002). Leadership in organizations, 5th ed. Prentice-Hall, New York.
- Zhang, L., H. Wang, C., Xiongfei, X., Wang, & Zhao, K. (2012). Knowledge management component in managing human resources for enterprises. Journal of Information Technology and Management, 13, 341–349.
- Zheng, W., Yang, B., & McLean, G.N. (2010). Linking organizational culture, structure, strategy and organizational effectiveness: Mediating role of KM. Journal of Business Research, 63, 763-771.