Document Type : Articles
1 Assistant Professor, Dept. of LIS, The University of Burdwan, WB,
2 Professor, Dept. of LIS, The University of Burdwan, WB,
3 Associate Professor, Dept. of LIS, The University of Kalyani, WB,
The paper provides an overview over the functionalities of the proposed harvesting model (BURA – Burdwan University Research Archive) and describes the activities involved in harvesting resources from OAI compliant LIS (Library and Information Science) repositories. Repositories, registered in OpenDOAR database, containing 'Library and Information Science' as one of the key subject have been considered and finally 117 repositories have been short listed on the basis of framed criteria. The purpose of this paper is to report an integrated Web-enabled distributed harvesting model that can extract and update metadata index efficiently from any OAI-PMH driven repositories on global scale. The findings suggest that LIS repositories are not up to the global standards and lack contents compared to others disciplinary repositories. It should follow open standards and should respect essence of interoperability. The model may be an interoperability solution to the professional librarians in designing and developing federated search option for multiple repositories from a single-window search interface. Thus, it may be concluded that this proposed harvesting framework may work as a guiding tool to those who plan to set up new OAI-based service provider.DOR: 98.1000/1726-8125.2017.15.73.0.1.68.101
- Alexander, M. L., & Gautam, J. N. (2004). Interoperability and Open Archives Initiative Protocol for Metadata Harvesting (OAI-PMH). 2nd International CALIBER (February 11-13, 2004, New Delhi) (pp. 338-345). Ahmedabad: INFLIBNET.
- Alipour-Hafezi, M., et al. (2010). Interoperability Models in Digital Libraries: An Overview. Electronic Library, 28(3), 438 – 452.
- Amin, S. (2003). The Open Archives Initiative Protocol for Metadata Harvesting: An Introduction. DRTC Workshop on Digital Libraries: Theory and Practice (March, 2003, DRTC, Bangalore). Paper H. Bangalore: DRTC. Retrieved January 5, 2014, from http://drtc.isibang.ac.in/xmlui/bitstream/handle/1849/40/H_OAIPMH_saiful.pdf?sequence=2
- Awasthi, S. & Jaiswal, B. (2008). Open Archives Metadata Harvesting: An Overview. 6th Convention of PLANNER (November 6-7, 2008, Nagaland University, Nagaland) (pp. 174-180). Ahmedabad: INFLIBNET.
- Chand, P., et al. (2004). Institutional Repositories, Open Access Movement and OAI-PMH Compliant Software. 2nd Convention of PLANNER (November 4-5, 2004, Manipur University, Imphal) (pp. 52-64). Ahmedabad: INFLIBNET.
- Crow, R. (2002). The Case for Institutional Repositories: A SPARC Position Paper. Washington, D. C: The Scholarly Publishing and Academic Resources Coalition.
- Deshmukh, S., Bhavsar, S. & Bhavsar, S. (2012). Open Source Software for Federated Search. DESIDOC Journal of Library and Information Technology, 32(5), 427-430.
- Eaton, J. (2008). Using the Open Archives Initiative Protocol for Metadata Harvesting. Program: Electronic Library and Information Systems, 42(4), 450 – 452.
- Ginsparg, P., Luce, R. & Van de Sompel, H. (1999). The Open Archives Initiative aimed at the further promotion of author self-archived solutions. Retrieved August 8, 2015, from
- Hirwade, M., & Hirwade, A. (2006). Metadata Harvesting Services in India. Library Herald, 44(4), 275-282.
- Hirwade, M. A. & Bherwani, M. T. (2011). Metadata Harvesting: Tools and Services in India. SRELS Journal of Information Management, 48(4), 389-398.
- Horwood, L., et al. (2004). OAI Compliant Institutional Repositories and the Role of Library Staff. Library Management, 25(4/5), 170-176.
- Hunter, P. & Guy, M. (2004). Metadata for Harvesting: The Open Archives Initiative, and How to Find Things on the Web. The Electronic Library, 22(2), 168–174.
- Jayakanth, F., Sharada, B. & Minj, F. (2007). An OAI-based approach to build and maintain union catalog of OPACs. In A.R.D. Prasad & D.P. Madalli (Eds.), Proceedings of the International Conference on Semantic Web and Digital Libraries (February 21-23,, 2007, DRTC, Bangalore) (451-458). Bangalore: DRTC.
- Jayakanth, F. & Minj, F. (2012). Federated Search Service for OAI-compliant Open-Access Repositories in India. International Conference on Trends in Knowledge and Information Dynamics (July 10-13, 2012, DRTC, Bangalore) (pp. 1-8). Bangalore: DRTC. Retrieved April 27, 2014, from http://eprints.iisc.ernet.in/43176/1/fj-minj_drtc_ictk_final.pdf
- Jerez, H. N., et al. (2004). The multi-faceted use of the OAI-PMH in the LANL repository. Proceedings of the 2004 Joint ACM/IEEE Conference on Digital Libraries (June 7-11, 2004, Tucson, Arizona, USA) (pp. 11- 20). USA: ACM.
- Kellogg, D. (2004). Open Source OAI Metadata Harvesting Tools. Retrieved September 21, 2015, from
- Khazraee, E., et al. (2011). EIAH data model: Semantic interoperability among distributed digital repositories. Aslib Proceedings, 63(1), 46–56.
- Leiner, B. M. (1998). The NCSTRL Approach to Open Architecture for the Confederated Digital Library. D-Lib Magazine, 4(12). Retrieved November 11, 2015, from http://dlib.org/dlib/december98/leiner/12leiner.html
- Mazurek, C., et al. (2006). Metadata harvesting in regional digital libraries in the PIONIER network. Campus-Wide Information Systems, 23(4), 241-253.
- Miller, P. (2004). Interoperability. What is it and Why should I want it? Ariadne, 24. Retrieved March 4, 2015, from http://www.ariadne.ac.uk/issue24/interoperability/
- Narang, S., et al. (2005). Creating health sciences theses institutional Repository model: An approach at AIIMS, New Delhi, India. Proceedings of 8th International Symposium on Electronic Thesis and Dissertations (September 28-30, 2005, University of New South Wales, Sydney, Australia). USA: NDLTD. Retrieved July 21, 2015, from http://docs.ndltd.org:8081/dspace/bitstream/2340/264/1/044Narang.pdf
- Peset, F., et al. (2007). Use of OAI protocol and its impact in digital libraries: a case study in Spain, Portugal and Latin America. In A.R.D Prasad and Devika P. Madalli (Eds.), International Conference on Semantic Web and Digital Libraries (February 21-23, 2007, Bangalore) (pp. 459-471). Bangalore: DRTC.
- Pieper, D., & Summann, F. (2006). Bielefeld Academic Search Engine (BASE): An end-user oriented institutional repository search service. Library Hi Tech, 24(4), 614-619.
- Powell, J., & Fox, E. A. (1998). Multilingual Federated Searching Across Heterogeneous Collections. D-Lib Magazine, 4(9). Retrieved July 21, 2015, from http://www.dlib.org/dlib/september98/powell/09powell.html
- Prasad, A. R. D., & Guha, N. (2005). Interoperability and the OAI-PMH. DRTC-HP International Workshop on Building Digital Libraries using DSpace (March 7-11, 2005, DRTC, Bangalore). Paper J. Bangalore: DRTC. Retrieved December 11, 2015, from http://drtc.isibang.ac.in
- Rajashekar, T. B. (2003). Improving the visibility of Indian Research: An Institutional, Open Access Publishing Model. Paper presented at the Indo-US Workshop on Open Digital Libraries and Interoperability (June 23-25, 2003, Arlington, USA). Retrieved November 24, 2014, from http://fox.cs.vt.edu/IndoUSdl/raja.pdf
- Roy, B. K. (2007). Indian Initiatives in the Development of Institutional Digital Repository. Digital Media and library Information Services, Proceedings of 26th IASLIC Conference (December 26-27, 2007, Jamia Millia Islamia University, New Delhi) (pp. 253-262). Kolkata: IASLIC.
- Roy, B. K. (2010). Open Access Trends and Developments in India. Librarian,17, 83-87.
- Roy, B. K. (2014a). Designing Institutional Digital Repository for the University of Burdwan: A FLOSS Based Prototype. A PhD Thesis, Library and Information Science Department, The University of Burdwan, Burdwan.
- Roy, B. K. (2014b). Open Access Repository: An Alternative Model for Scholarly Communication. In G. Maity & Others, Charaibeti: Golden Jubliee Commemorative Volume (pp. 250 – 257). Kolkata: Jadavpur University.
- Roy, B. K. (2015). Institutional Digital Repository: From Policy to Practice. Germany: LAP.
- Roy, B. K., & Mukhopadhyay, P. (2011). Development of learning objects repositories in India. Open Access: Gateway to Open Innovation, Proceedings of the 27th Annual Conference of the Society for Information Science (November 24-27, 2010, Kolkata) (pp. 179-187). New Delhi: Society for Information Science.
- Roy, B. K., Biswas, S. C., & Mukhopadhyay, P. (2011). An Analytical Study of Institutional Digital Repositories in India. Library Philosophy and Practice. Paper 692. Retrieved September 3, 2015, from http://digitalcommons.unl.edu/libphilprac/692
- Roy, B. K., Biswas, S. C., & Mukhopadhyay, P. (2012a). Open Access Repositories in Asia: From SAARC to Asian Tigers. Library Philosophy and Practice. Paper 808. Retrieved September 12, 2015, from http://digitalcommons.unl.edu/libphilprac/808
- Roy, B. K., Biswas, S. C., & Mukhopadhyay, P. (2012b). Study of Open Access Repositories: A Global Perspective. Information-Innovation-Technology: Creating Seamless Linkages, 29th Convention & Conference of Society of Information Science (November 26 - 28, 2012, Silchar). Silchar: National Institute of Technology.
- Roy, B. K., Biswas, S. C., & Mukhopadhyay, P. (2013). Global Visibility of Indian Open Access Institutional Digital Repositories. International Research: Journal of Library and Information Science, 3(1), 182-194.
- Roy, B. K., Biswas, S. C., & Mukhopadhyay, P. (2015). Trends and Developments of Open Access Repository Movement in Europe. International Research: Journal of Library and Information Science, 5(3), 407-422.
- Roy, B.K., Biswas, S.C., & Mukhopadhyay, P. (2016a). Status of Open Access Institutional Digital Repositories in Agricultural Sciences: A Case Study of Asia. Library Philosophy and Practice. [Accepted for publication].
- Roy, B. K., Biswas, S. C., & Mukhopadhyay, P. (2016b). The COAPI Cats: The Current State of Open Access Repository Movement and Policy Documentations. International Journal of Knowledge Content Development & Technology. [Accepted for publication].
- Roy, B. K., Biswas, S. C., & Mukhopadhyay, P. (2016c). Global Repository Movement in the Domain of Library and Information Science. International Journal of Information Science and Management. [Accepted for publication].
- Roy, B. K., Biswas, S. C., & Mukhopadhyay, P. (2016d). Open Access Repositories for Indian Universities: Towards a Multilingual Framework. IASLIC Bulletin. [Mss. submitted].
- Sarkar, P., & Mukhopadhyay, P. (2010). Designing single-window search service for electronic theses and dissertations through metadata harvesting. Annals of Library and Information Studies, 57(4), 356-364.
- Sarkar, P., & Mukhopadhyay, P. (2012). Developing virtual union catalogue of ETDs on health and medicine: a practical approach. Proceeding of the National Seminar on Challenges in Library Management System (pp. 334-340). Indian association for the cultivation of science, Kolkata.
- Singh, S., & Pandita, N. (2005). Building the open access self-archiving repository for the bio-medical sciences at National Informatics Centre. Paper presented at the National Convention of Medical Library Association of India (November 07- 09, 2005, Bangalore). Retrieved November 24, 2014, from
- Singh, S., Pandita, N., & Dash, S. S. (2008). Opportunities and challenges of establishing open access repositories: a case study of OpenMED@NIC. Trends and Strategic Issues for Librarians in Global Information Society: ICCSR Sponsored Seminar ( March 18-19, 2008, Chandigarh) (pp. 98-104). Chandigarh: Panjab University.
- Sreekumar, M. G., et al. (2007). Institutional Repositories for Knowledge Management in Academic and Research Institutions. In A. R. D. Prasad and Devika P. Madalli (Eds.), International Conference on Semantic Web and Digital Libraries ( February 21-23, 2007, Bangalore) (pp. 260-273). Bangalore: DRTC.
- Van de Sompel, H., & Lagoze, C. (2000). The Sante Fe Convention of the Open Archives Initiative. D-Lib Magazine, 6(2). Retrieved May 2, 2014, from
- Van de Sompel, H. et al. (2000). The UPS Prototype: An Experimental End-User Service across E-Print Archives. D-Lib Magazine, 6(2). Retrieved November 24, 2015, from http://dlib.org/dlib/february00/vandesompel-ups/02vandesompel-ups.html
- Warner, S. M. (2001). Exposing and harvesting metadata using the OAI Metadata Harvesting Protocol: a tutorial. High Energy Physics Libraries Webzine, 4. Retrieved March 22, 2015, from http://library.web.cern.ch/library/Webzine/4/papers/3/
- Westell, M. (2006). Institutional Repositories: Proposed Indicators of Success. Library Hi Tech, 24(2), 211–226.