Document Type : Articles
Secretary of Iranian Library and Information Science Association-Fars Branch
Retrieving relevant information on the Internet and identifying the related information to the real needs are not an easy task for many users. So the main objective of this study was to evaluate the effect of search strategies on the relevance of retrieved information in domestic article databases. Considering the nature of the subject, this was an applied descriptive-survey research. Statistical population consists of all domestic article databases, from which the MAGIRAN, IRANDOC, NOORMAGZ and the Regional Information Center for Science and Technology (RICeST) were selected as samples. To test the hypotheses, one-way analysis of variance (ANOVA) and Tukey’s post-hoc test were computed using SPSS statistical software version 22. The study’s findings showed that there were significant differences between relevance of the information retrieved from different databases based on different search strategies. It was found that, using simple search had the highest relevance. Moreover, using the AND, NOT and OR operators, took the lower ranks respectively. Using the time limiter had the lowest relevance in information retrieval. There were also significant differences between the relevance of information retrieved from different databases, and the NOORMAGZ database, the RICeST, MAGIRAN and IRANDOC; respectively had the most relevant retrievals. Using different search strategies can affect the relevance of the information retrieved from an article database. Therefore, acquiring these strategies and using each one in the right situation can improve the relevance of the retrieved information.
- Allami, P. & Fattahi, R. (2012). Comparing the Influence of Title and URL in Information Retrieval Relevance in Search Engines Results between Human Science and Agriculture Science. Iranian Journal of Information Processing & Management, 28 (1), 203-224. [in Persian]
- Badgett, R. G., Dylla, D. P., Megison, S. D. & Harmon, E. G. (2015). An experimental search strategy retrieves more precise results than PubMed and Google for questions about medical interventions. Peer J, 3 (91), 1-15.
- Barral, O. et al. (2015). Exploring peripheral physiology as a predictor of perceived relevance in information retrieval. Proceedings of the 20th International Conference on Intelligent User Interfaces, March 29- April 1, Atlanta. 389-399.
- Fattahi, R. (2006). Identifying and analyzing general terms in web resources: a new approach to extending search terms unisng natural language in exploration engies. Studies in Education and Psychology, 7 (1), 31-51. [in Persian]
- Habibi, S.H. (2007). The status of using information retrieval tools and search strategies for Ardabil University of medical sciences on the web. Quarterly Book, 69, 205-216. [in Persian]
- Hassanzadeh, M. & Rezazadeh, E. (2008). Assessment of relevance in systems for storing and retrieving information from a cognitive approach. Library and Information Science, 11 (2), 53-70. [in Persian]
- Hassanzadeh, M., Ghafari, S., Zarei, A. & Kamandi, H. (2014). Comparative review of search through the title and URL of search engines on the relevance of the results of data retrival by the experts of the hamedan governorate. Quarterly Journal of Knowledge Studies, 7 (25), 71-79. [in Persian]
- Larkey, L. S. & Connell, M. E. (2005). Structured queries, language modeling and relevance modeling in cross- language information retrieval. Information Processing and Management: An International Journal, 41 (3), 457-473.
- Okhovati, M. (2004). Concept of relevance in information retrieval systems: An overview of existing theories and literature. Informology, 2 (1), 23-45. [in Persian]
- Shahbazi, M. & Shahini, S. (2016). Study of efficiency of magiran, noormags and sid databases in retrieval and relevance of information science and knowledge subject by free keywords and comparing them in terms of the use of controlled keywords. Iranian Journal of Information Processing & Management, 31 (2), 431-454. [in Persian]
- Snasel, V., Abraham, A., Owais, S., Platos, J. & Kromer, P. (2009). Optimizing information retrieval using evolutionary algorithms and fuzzy inference system. Foundations of Computational Intelligence, 4 (204), 299-324.