Document Type : Articles
Medical Library and Information Sciences Department, School of Allied Medical Sciences, Tehran University of Medical Sciences, Tehran, Iran
Department of Health Services Management, Khomein University of Medical Sciences, Khomein, Iran
By attention to the problems related to metrics such as H-index, impact factor, citations, and so on, a new concept called altmetrics was introduced. This index assesses the impact of an article in almost real-time using multiple markups and conversations and enables researchers to identify the impact of their work more quickly than traditional metrics. The purpose of this study was to determine and compare altmetrics indicators and citations of dental research articles of Tehran University of Medical Sciences (TUMS) and Shahid Beheshti University of Medical Sciences (SBMU) available at altmetrics.com and Scopus between 2014 and 2019. This is a practical comparative study that has been performed with the scientometrics method. The study population included 810 dentistry articles of TUMS and SBMU during 2014-2019 in the Scopus database. The altmetrics data of articles were collected using altmetrics.com bookmarklet. Data were analyzed using descriptive and analytical statistics in SPSS 21. 73.1% of articles in TUMS and 71.3% in SBMU were cited, which indicates TUMS had a slightly greater share. The articles of TUMS with 17.6% had higher altmetrics coverage than SBMU (14.8%). There was a significant positive correlation between Scopus citations and Dimensions citations (p<0.001, r=0.945) and Mendeley readers (p=0.000, r=0.660) and weak positive correlation between Scopus citations and altmetrics attention score (r=0.115, p= 0.000). There was a positive and moderate correlation between Mendeley readers with CiteScore (p=0.000, r=0.523), SJR (p=0.000, r=0.557) and SNIP (r=0.508, p= 0.000). Also, there was a positive and weak correlation between CiteScore with altmetrics attention score (r=0.135, p=0.000) and Twitter mentions (p=0.049, r=0.133), between SJR and altmetrics attention score (p=0.000, r=0.098) and mentions in Twitter (p=0.010, r=0.174) as well as SNIP with Twitter (p=0.043, r=0.136). The altmetrics indicators of dentistry articles in the selected medical universities were not favorable. It is necessary to provide the background to introduce these indicators to researchers and publishers.https://dorl.net/dor/20.1001.1.20088302.2022.20.2.10.5
- Das AK. Research evaluation metrics. Paris: UNESCO Publishing; 2015.
- Mingers J, Leydesdorff L. A review of theory and practice in scientometrics. European Journal of Operational Research. 2015;246(1):1-19.
- Mohammadi E, Thelwall M, Haustein S, Larivière V. Who reads research articles? An altmetrics analysis of M endeley user categories. Journal of the Association for Information Science and Technology. 2015;66(9):1832-46.
- Knight SR. Social media and online attention as an early measure of the impact of research in solid organ transplantation. Transplantation. 2014;98(5):490-6.
- Garfield E, Welljams-Dorof A. Introduction to citation data–their use as quantitative indicators for science and technology evaluation and policy making. reprinted from Science and Public Policy. 1992;19:321-7.
- Muppidi S, Reddy KT. Challenges in Citation Analysis. International Journal of Pure and Applied Mathematics. 2018;118(7):27-31.
- Williams AE. Altmetrics: an overview and evaluation. Online Information Review. 2017;41(3):311-7.
- Thelwall M, Haustein S, Larivière V, Sugimoto CR. Do altmetrics work? Twitter and ten other social web services. PloS one. 2013;8(5):e64841.
- Holmberg KJ. Altmetrics for information professionals: Past, present and future: Chandos Publishing; 2015.
- Melero R. Altmetrics: a complement to conventional metrics. Biochemia medica: Biochemia medica. 2015;25(2):152-60.
- Cronin B, Sugimoto CR. Beyond bibliometrics: Harnessing multidimensional indicators of scholarly impact: MIT Press; 2014.
- Navidi F, Mansourian Y. Introduction to Altmetrics: Alternative Scales for Investigating the Impact of Research with an Emphasis on the Social Web. Journal of Scientometrics. 2014;1(2):15-34.
- Dalili-Saleh M, Salami M. Altmetrics in Articles measurement. the 2nd International congress of Community Empowerment in the Field of Social Sciences Psychology and Educational Sciences; Tehran: Community Center for Empowering Cultural and Social Skills; 2016.
- Repiso R, Castillo-Esparcia A, Torres-Salinas D. Altmetrics, alternative indicators for Web of Science Communication studies journals. Scientometrics. 2019;119(2):941-58.
- What outputs and sources does Altmetric track? [Internet]. [updated 2019 Jul 12; cited 2019 Jul 14]. Available from: https://help.altmetric.com/support/solutions/articles/6000060968-what-outputs-and-sources-does-altmetric-track-.
- About Altmetric [Internet]. [updated 2019 Jan 31; cited 2019 Jul 14]. Available from: https://help.altmetric.com/support/solutions/articles/6000059309-about-altmetric.
- How does Altmetric create Details Pages and update metadata for Crossref DOIs? [Internet].
- [updated 2018 Oct 10; cited 2019 Jul 14]. Available from: https://help.altmetric.com/support/solutions/articles/6000207399-how-does-altmetric-create-details-pages-and-update-metadata-for-crossref-dois-.
- Konkiel S, Guichard S. Altmetrics:“big data” that map the influence of New Zealand research. Library Hi Tech News. 2018;35(4):1-5.
- Cho J. A comparative study of the impact of Korean research articles in four academic fields using altmetrics. Performance Measurement and Metrics. 2017;18(1):38-51.
- Erdt M, Aw AS, Aung HH, Mohammadi E, Theng YL. Investigating singapore's altmetric landscape. Proceedings of the Association for Information Science and Technology. 2016;53(1):1-9.
- Ruan QZ, Chen AD, Cohen JB, Singhal D, Lin SJ, Lee BT. Alternative Metrics of Scholarly Output: The Relationship among Altmetric Score, Mendeley Reader Score, Citations, and Downloads in Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery. Plastic and reconstructive surgery. 2018;141(3):801-9.
- Rosenkrantz AB, Ayoola A, Singh K, Duszak Jr R. Alternative metrics (“altmetrics”) for assessing article impact in popular general radiology journals. Academic radiology. 2017;24(7):891-7.
- Zahedi Z, Costas R, Wouters P. How well developed are altmetrics? A cross-disciplinary analysis of the presence of ‘alternative metrics’ in scientific publications. Scientometrics. 2014;101(2):1491-513.
- Asemi A, BasirianJahromi R, SeyyedHosseini S. The Rate of Attention to Iranian Papers Published on Common Cancers in Social Networks: An Altmetrics Approach. Journal of Health Administration. 2018;21(73):72-88.
- Nemati-Anaraki L, Aghajani-Koupaei H, Alibeyg M. The Impact of Iranian Pediatrics Articles based on Altmetric Method: 2010-2016. Journal of Health Administration. 2018;20(70):94-106.
- Erfanmanesh M. The Presence of Iranian Information Science and Library Science Articles in Social Media: An Altmetric Study. Journal of Information Processing and Management. 2017;32(2):349-73.
- Esmaeilpour-Bandboni M, Batooli Z, Ramezani A, Ranjbar-Pirmousa Z, Ramezani-Pakpourlangeroudi F. An Assessment of Altmetrics Indicators on Citation Rate of Articles Affiliated by Guilan University of Medical Sciences. Health Information Management. 2016;13(5):367-72.
- Kolahi J, Khazaei S. Altmetric analysis of contemporary dental literature. British dental journal. 2018;225(1):68.
- Sedighi M. The Role of Social Media in Assessing the Impact of Research (Case Study: The Field of Scientometrics). Iranian Journal of Information Processing and Management. 2019;34(2):765-92.
- Gholtaji M, Jowkar A. Presence of Scientific Outputs of Medical Informatics Using Social Media: An Altmetric Study. Health Information Management 2017;14(2):71-7.
- Asgary S, Sabbagh S, Shirazi AS, Ahmadyar M, Shahravan A, Akhoundi MSA. PubMed-indexed dental publications from Iran: a scientometric study. Journal of dentistry (Tehran, Iran). 2016;13(3):157.
- Jabaley CS, Groff IV RF, Stentz MJ, Moll V, Lynde GC, Blum JM, et al. Highly visible sepsis publications from 2012 to 2017: Analysis and comparison of altmetrics and bibliometrics. Journal of critical care. 2018;48:357-71.