Document Type : Articles
Belgorod State National Research University/ Belgorod State University
A comparative study of the university systems of the countries of the Near East has been undertaken in this paper. It has been illustrated that the most competitive systems in terms of World University Rankings are the university systems of Iran, Israel, and Saudi Arabia. This conclusion, at a glance, was made based on the distribution of all the universities of 14 countries of the Near East by the ten World University Rankings. This conclusion was confirmed in a more detailed manner upon entering and calculating three integral indicators of country university competitiveness. They were expressed by multiplying and adding the number of the universities of the countries mentioned in the rankings mentioned above and the average values of the positioning of the universities in these systems. Together with the number of universities distributed among the countries, these three indicators correlated well with each other. The devised methodology of a quantitative assessment of country university competitiveness is proposed for a comparative study of this competitiveness in random groups of countries worldwide.https://dorl.net/dor/20.1001.1.20088302.2022.20.2.6.1
- Akyuz, Z.C., & Correira, R.A. (2017). A Bibliometric Analysis of High – Impact Research in the Middle East Using Champions Work. International Information and Library Review, 49 (1), 11 – 18. doi: 10.1080/10572317.2016.1227194
- Al Seddiki, S. (2014). Arab Universities and the Challenge of Global Classification: The Way to Excellence. Journal of Strategic Perspectives (Emirates Center for Strategic Studies and Research, Abu Dhabi), April, 8 – 47. (in Arabic)
- Al Sharbini, G.H. (2016). To explore the future of Arab universities in the content of international classifications. 6 th Arab International Conference for Quality Assurance of Higher Education. Sudan University of Science and Technology, Khartoum, 9 – 11 February, 2016. (in Arabic)
- Alsharif, F. (2020). Kuwait University Ranking in the Light of the International Universities Ranking Standards: An Analytical Evaluation Study. Journal of Educational Studies, 32(3),627 – 648.
- Aziz, A. (2015). Effect of international publications on the ranking of universities in international classifications: Cairo University as a model. Cybrarians Journal, 37 (in Arabic)
- Badran, A., & Badran, S. (2019). Indicators of Institutional and Program Ranking of Universities with Reference to the Arab World. In: Major Challenges Facing Higher Education in the Arab World: Quality Assurance and Relevance / Eds by A. Badran, E. Baydoun, and J.R. Hillman. – Cham: Springer Nature Switzerland AG.
- Bodyaf, A.M., Brahmia, A., & Hamouda, N. To explore the future of Arab universities in the light of international classifications. 6 th Arab International Conference for Quality Assurance of Higher Education. Sudan University of Science and Technology, Khartoum, 9 – 11 February, 2016 (in Arabic)
- El Hassan, K., Abu Arabi, S.T., & Al – Zoubi, A., 2015. Benchmarking Tools for Good Governance in Arab Universitites. Journal of the Associations of Arab Universities for Higher Education Research, 38(2), 1 – 24.
- Fazeli – Varzaneh. M., Ghaderi – Azad, E., & Elango, B. (2021). Middle East Countries’ Contribution to Global Engineering Research: A Bibliometric Analysis. International Journal of Information Science and Management, 19(1), 1 – 13.
- Habibzadeh, F. (2011). Geopolitical changes and trends in Middle East countries’ contributions to world science over the past three decades. Archives of Iranian Medicine, 14, 310 – 311.
- Habibzadeh, F. (2014). Scientific research in the Middle East. The Lancet, 383. Available at: https//www.researchgate.net/publication/2611436365
- Hamdan, A.M. (2015). The way to world - class research universities is a comprehensive study in Arab universities. Amran Magazine for Social and Human Sciences (Arab Center for Research and Policy Studies, Qatar), 4(13), 65 – 104.
- Hassan, M.A. (2006). Curricula and Indicators of Compititiveness of Arab Universities. Conference on the Competitiveness of Universities and Institutions of Higher Educations and Scientific Research in Egypt and Arab Countries under the International Trade in Services Agreements, 4 – 113. (in Arabic)
- International student mobility in tertiary education. UNESCO’s Institute for Statistics (UIS), 2018
- Available at: https://uis.unesco.org)
- Jafar, H., & Knight, J. (2020). Higher Education in the Arab States: the Realities and Challenges of Regionalization. Comparative and International Education, 48(2).
- Available at: https://doi.org/10.5206/cie-eci.v48i2.10788
- Kalhor, B. & Mehrparvar, F. (2020) Rankings of Countries Based on Rankings of Universities (April 20, 2020). Abingdon: Routledge. https://ssrn.com/abstract=3585226 or http://dx.doi.org/10.2139/ssrn.3585226
- Lapushin, R., & Israeli, M. (2020). Assessing the rating and innovative activities of higher educational institutions: on the example of Israel. Journal of Research on Trade, Management and Economic Development, 7(1), 59-70.
- Moskovkin, V. M., & Liu Yawei (2018). On the evaluation of the regional university competitiveness. Research Result. Economic Research, 1, 35-53. (In Russian).
- Sa’egh, A.A. (2011). International Classifications of Universities Experience of Saudi Universities. Saudi Journal of Higher Education, 5, 25 – 38. (in Arabic)
- Saqr, A. (2011). Arab Universities Facing Global Classifications // Future Horizons Magazine (Emirates Center for Strategic Studies and Research, Abu Dhabi). January/ February, 59 - 63. (in Arabic)
- Siddiqi, A., Stoppani, J., Anadon, L.D., & Narayanamurti, V. (2016). Scientific Welth in Middle East and North Africa: Productivity, indigeneity, and speciality in 1981 – 2013. PloS one, 11(11), e0164500 https//doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0164500