Document Type : Articles
Medical Library & Information Sciences, Bushehr University of Medical Sciences, Student Research Committee, Bushehr, Iran
Department of Epidemiology and Biostatistics, Bushehr University of Medical Sciences, Bushehr, Iran
Assistant Professor, Department of pediatrics, Faculty of medicine, Bushehr University of Medical Sciences, Bushehr, Iran
Assistant Professor, Information Research Group, Regional Information Center for Science and Technology (RICeST), Shiraz, Iran
Associate Professor, Medical Library and Information Science Department, Bushehr University of Medical Sciences, Bushehr, Iran
For physicians, choosing the correct and up-to-date health information is one of the most important challenges. Therefore, they need to acquire information retrieval skills. The present study examines clinical librarian's educational role in improving medical students’ accessing health information skills. This study is a quasi-experimental applied survey. The study participants were senior medical students of BPUMS1 taking the clinical course in 2013 (n=52). They were divided into two groups, test and control groups, each containing 21 (test group) and 23 (control group). Subsequently, a two-month workshop program besides training sessions was held with the participation of a clinical librarian at the clinic and a scenario by a physician present in the test group. The data collection tool was a self-administered questionnaire used before and after intervention (two months later) to both test and control groups. Data was analyzed using descriptive statistics and an independent T-Test. The findings of this study show that, in total, there is an increase in mean scores of familiarity with medical databases, their use, and the need for clinical librarian services after an educational intervention. This increase was revealed in (37.33 ± 9.61), (36.85 ± 10.1), and (42.85 ± 3.5) respectively; and the difference was significant (p<0.001). The lack of use of updated medical evidence and resources by medical students was due to the lack of knowledge of specialized medical databases. One of the useful strategies in this regard is the inclusion of clinical librarians in the treatment teams and different hospital units.https://dorl.net/dor/20.1001.1.20088302.2022.20.3.7.4
- Aitken, E.M, Powelson, S.E, Reaume, R.D, Ghali, W.A (2011),"Involving Clinical Librarians at the Point of Care: Results of a Controlled Intervention", Academic Medicine, 86(12), 1508-1512.
- Amini, M, Sagheb, M. M. Moghadami, M and Shayegh, S (2007), "The Rate of Knowledge and Practice of Medical Residents of Shiraz Medical School in Regard to Evidence-based Medicine", Journal of Medical Education Development Center, 4(1), 30-35. (In Persian)
- Anderson, J.G, JAY, S.J, Anderson, M & Hunt, T.J (2003), "Evaluating the impact of information technology on medication errors: a simulation", Journal of the American Medical Informatics Association, 10(3), 292-293.
- Brassey, J, Elwyn, G, Price, C, Kinnersley, P (2001)," Just in time information for clinicians: a questionnaire evaluation of the ATTRACT project", British Medical Journal, 322(5), 29-30.
- Brettle, A, Maden-Jenkins, M, Anderson, L, McNally, R, Pratchett, Tancock, J, Thornton, D & Webb, A (2011), "Evaluating clinical librarian services: a systematic review", Health Information & Libraries Journal, 28(1), 3-22.
- Brettle, A, Maden, M & Payne, C (2016), "The impact of clinical librarian services on patients and health care organizations", Health Information & Libraries Journal, 33(2), 100-120.
- Coats, TJ, Sutton, S, Vorwek, C, Cooke, MW (2009), "In an emergency call the clinical librarian!" Emergency Medicine Journal, 26(3), 21-3.
- Cooper, D, Crum, J (2013), "New activities and changing roles of health sciences librarians: a systematic review, 1990–2012", Journal of the American Medical Informatics Association, 101(4), 268-277.
- Davidoff, F, Florance, V (2000), 'The informationist: a new health profession?" Annals of Internal Medicine, 132(12), 996-998
- Demas, J, Ludwig, L (1991), "Clinical medical librarian: the last unicorn?" Bulletin of the Medical Library Association, 79 (1), 17-27.
- Esparza, J, Shi, R, McLarty, J, Comegys, M, Banks, D (2013), "The effect of a clinical medical librarian on in-patient care outcomes", Journal of the Medical Library Association, 101(3): 185-191.
- Federer, L (2013), "The librarian as research informationist: a case study", Journal of the Medical Library Association, 101(4), 289-303.
- Herrmann, L, Winer, J, Kern, J, Keller, S, Pavuluri, P (2017), “Integrating a clinical librarian to increase trainee application of evidence based medicine on patient family-centered round", Academic pediatric journal, 17(3), 339-341.
- Homan, J. M, and J. J, McGowan (2002), "The Medical Library Association: Promoting New Roles for Health Information Professionals", Journal of the Medical Library Association, 90(1), 80-85.
- Habibi, S, Farzi, J and Lotfollahzadeh, R(2008), "GPs' Information Seeking Behavior in Ardabil and Their Approach towards Electronic Sources", Journal of Ardabil University of Medical Sciences, 8 (2), 136-141. (In Persian)
- Ilic, D, Tepper, K & Misso, M (2012), "Teaching evidence-based medicine literature searching skills to medical students during the clinical years: a randomized controlled trial" Journal of the Medical Library Association, 100(3), 190-197.
- Kristine, M (2005), "Expert searching in public health”, Journal of the Medical Library Association, 93(1), 97-103.
- Motamedi, F, AleTaha, A & Bahaadinim, K (2014), "The clinical librarians and information professionals’ role in tele-medicine: assisting the general practitioners working in rural areas of Kerman Province in the treatment process", Journal of Health Management and Informatics, 1(2), 31-35.
- Movahedi, F, Ashrafirizi, H and Sharifmoghadam, H (2014), "Physicians’ Perception about the Role of Clinical Librarianship at ALZahra Medical Center. Journal of Health Administration", 16 (54), 71-81. (In Persian)
- Perrier, L, Farrell, A, Ayala, AP (2014), "Effects of librarian-provided services in health care settings: a systematic review", Journal of the American Medical Informatics Association, 21(6), 1118–1124.
- Rilly, B, Orlov, N, Werner, D, Shannon, K, Arora, M and Alkureishi, M (2018), "Evaluating the impact of clinical librarians on clinical questions during inpatient rounds", Journal of the Medical Library Association, 106(2), 175-183.
- Stumpff, J (2003), "Providing Medical Information to College Health Center Personnel: A circuit librarian service at the university of Illinois ", Journal of American College Health, 52(2), 88-91.
- Swiatek-Kelley, J (2010), "Physician Information Seeking Behaviors: Are Physicians Successful Searchers?” The dissertation to degree Doctor of Philosophy in Information Science. Nova Southeastern University.
- Tafreshi, A, Momenzadeh, N, Fayazbakhsh, A & Khodayi A, shan, S (2010), "The role of librarians of hospitals affiliated to Tabriz University of Medical Sciences in evidence-based performance", Journal of Epistemology (Library and Information Science and Information Technology), 3(11), 33-45. (In Persian)
- Wagner, K, Byrd, G (2004), "Evaluating the effectiveness of clinical medical librarian programs: a systematic review of literature", Journal of the Medical Library Association, 92 (1), 14-33.