Document Type : Articles
Hafez Institute of Higher Education, Faculty member
This study investigates the architectural spaces of Shiraz University Libraries from users' viewpoints for architectural concepts and academic library standards. It also explores the architectural areas, appropriateness, and arrangement of internal communication inside the libraries and the strengths and weaknesses regarding activities performed in a typical academic library. The research method was a descriptive survey with a quantitative and qualitative approach. There were two statistical populations in this study. One was all the libraries in the faculties of Shiraz University, whose buildings have been designed for this purpose from the beginning. The other was all the students of different fields in the faculties of engineering, humanities, and educational sciences, social sciences, law, veterinary medicine, agriculture, and basic sciences of Shiraz University. The optimization method was Cochran's formula to determine the sample size. A researcher-made questionnaire for users containing fifty-four items on eight aspects of libraries, namely: the exterior space, main entrance space, circulation desk space, nonprint materials space (audio-visual resources, electronic resources, and databases), reference sources space, study hall space, hallways and service spaces and environmental issues such as air-conditioning. Another tool was a checklist based on the standards for Iranian university libraries and the fourth edition of the Sannwald Checklist published by the American Library Association. Based on this checklist, the spaces of the libraries were examined by observing and interviewing the library staff. The results obtained from the users' point of view, observation of libraries, and interviews with staff show that although some standards have been considered in the overall design of the library buildings of Shiraz University, many architectural standards and concepts have either been ignored or not fully considered in subspaces. The main problem seen in almost all libraries is the lack of a special entrance for disabled library patrons. In most cases, users' attitudes were in line with staff opinions and observations.https://dorl.net/dor/20.1001.1.20088302.2022.20.3.10.7
- Association of College and Research Libraries. (2011). Standards for Libraries in Higher Education. Chicago: Association of College and Research Libraries.
- Association of College and Research Libraries. (2020). Academic Library Building Design: Resources for Planning. Chicago: Association of College and Research Libraries. retrieved from https://acrl.libguides.com/buildingresources
- Bieraugel, M., Neill, S. (2017). Ascending Bloom's Pyramid: Fostering Student Creativity and Innovation in Academic Library Spaces. College & Research Libraries,78(1), 1-18. DOI: https://doi.org/10.5860/crl.78.1.35
- Checklist of Library Building Design Considerations (2001). Edited by William W. Sannwald. 4thed. Chicago: American Library Association.
- Cheshmeh Sohrabi, M., Rahim Salmani, A., & Rahim Salmani, A. (2011). The effect of color in the interior design of academic libraries. Library and Information, 4(1), 70-39.
- Choy, F. C.; Goh, S. N. (2016). A framework for planning academic library spaces. Library Management, 37(1/2), 13-28. DOI: 10.1108/LM-01-2016-0001
- Gstalder, S. H. (2017). UNDERSTANDING LIBRARY SPACE PLANNING. Unpublished doctoral dissertation, University of Pennsylvania. retrieved from https://www.proquest.com/docview/1954088754
- Haghighi, M. (2006). "Academic Libraries" in information and library encyclopedia supervised by Fariborz Khosravi, editor in chief, Iraj Afshar. Tehran: Document organization and National library of Islamic Republic of Iran, vol.2, 1463.
- Mansooriyan, y. (2009). One hundred quality of a good academic library. KetabMah, General Subjects, 11(6), 16-23.
- Naseri, Z. )2010). connection with nature in the architecture of libraries, Journal of Library and museum of Astan Ghods Documents Center, 2(7, 8), 1-10. retrieved from http://www.aqlibrary.ir
- Parto, B. (2010). Cyclopedia of Library Building and Equipment: With Emphasis on Architecture of Library Building. Tehran: Nashre Ketabdar.
- Potthoff, J.K., Weis, D.L., Montanelli, D. S., & Murbach, M.M. (2000). An Evaluation of Patron Perceptions of Library Space Using the Role Repertory Grid Procedure. College & Research Libraries, 61(3), 191-202
- Sharifi Moghadam, H. (2007). A study of physical conditions of the building in Academic Libraries of Iran. Library and Information, 10(3), 205.
- Taavoni, S. & Asefi, N. (1998). standards for Instrument and Equipment of libraries and information center. Tehran: shirin Taavoni; Asefi.
- TaavoniS, S, Soltani, P., Hariri, M. & Mehrad,J. (2002). Iran Academic Library Standards. Tehran: National Library of the Islamic Republic of Iran.