Document Type : Articles
The new media and technologies in the information era have affected all aspects of individuals in the information society. This research aimed to investigate the motivations for using Instagram as a social network among students of the Psychology and Educational Science Faculty of Semnan University. The present study was a survey in terms of methodology and applied research in terms of purpose. The research population comprised 442 students in the Faculty of Psychology and Educational Sciences at Semnan University. Totally, 205 individuals were selected through simple random sampling. Based on Gülnar, Balci and Çakir questionnaire (2010), a measure was provided for data gathering. To assess students' motives in using Instagram as a social network, exploratory factor analysis, one-sample t-test, and description analysis were used, and the collected data were analyzed using SPSS software (version 24). Findings showed that six factors of narcissism and self-expression, passing the time and entertainment, curiosity about events and memories, information seeking, creating social and emotional capital, and relationship maintenance were the most important motivations for students to use Instagram as a social network. The results further showed that three factors (i.e. information seeking, passing time, and relationship maintenance) were suggested as the three main motivations of students. Psychology students of Semnan University use social networks such as Instagram according to real-life conditions to compensate for their shortcomings and deficiencies and meet their needs.https://dorl.net/dor/20.1001.1.20088302.2022.20.4.15.4
- Baek, Y. M, Cho, Y & Kim, H (2014). Attachment style and its influence on the activities, motives, and consequences of SNS use. Journal of Broadcasting & Electronic Media, 58(4), 522-541.
- Brandtzæg, P. B (2012). Social networking sites: Their users and social implications—A longitudinal study. Journal of Computer-Mediated Communication, 17(4), 467-488.
- Cheung, C. M., Chiu, P. Y., Lee, M. K. (2011). Online social networks: Why do students use facebook?. Computers in Human Behavior, 27(4):1337-1343.
- Cheung, Ting (2014). A study of motives, usage, self-presentation and numbers of followers on Instagram. Discovering –SS E-journal, 3, 1-35.
- Chou, H. G., & Edge, N (2012). They are happier and having better lives than I am: The impact of using Facebook on perceptions of others' lives. Cyberpsychology, Behavior, and Social Networking, 15(2), 117-120.
- Gülnar, B., Balci, S., & Çakir, V. (2010). Motivations of Facebook, You Tube and Similar web Sites Users.Türk Dünyasi Sosyal Bilimler Dergisi, 54,161-184.
- Hasani, H.; kalantari, A.H. Phenomenological analysis of the lived experience of Instagram video social network users in Iran. Communication Culture. 2017, 72, 32-63.
- Hassanzadeh, M., Saberi, S., & Doroudi, F. (2020). The Impact of Librarians' Individual Abilities on Using Social Networks in Iranian Libraries. International Journal Of Information Science And Management (IJISM), 18(1), 65-72. Retrieved from https://ijism.ricest.ac.ir/index.php/ijism/article/view/1629/390.
- Hassan, L., Dias, A., & Hamari, J. (2018). How motivational feedback increases user’s benefits and continued use: A study on gamification, quantified-self and social networking. International Journal of Information Management, 46, 151-162.
- Hejazi, E.; Namdari, V.; Ghasemi, M.; Moghaddam-Zadeh, A. (2016). Designing and constructing tools for measuring and using social networks and examining its relationship with academic performance. Research in School and Virtual Learning. 4(15): 65-78.
- Hjørland, B. (2002). Epistemology and the socio‐cognitive perspective in information science. Journal of the American Society for Information Science and Technology, 53(4):257-270.
- Latifi, M.; Riahi-Nia, N.; Ghaedi, Y.; Babaie, M. (2018). Understanding the motivation of students to use the social networks Facebook, Instagram, and Telegram. Journal of Academic Librarianship and Information Research. 52(2), 79-109.
- Lotfi, Sh. (2017). Investigating the motivations for using social networks among students of science and information. Science and Techniques of Information Mangment. 3(1), 73-89.
- Marefat, R.; Khademi, R. (****). Information sources of Students of Psychology. International Journal Of Information Science And Management (IJISM), *(*), *-*. (in print).
- Moghaddas-Zadeh, H.; Safahie, H. (2017). Media literacy and awareness of social harms. Media Studies. 12(3), 25-35.
- Moradi, Sh.; Rajab-Pour, M.; Kian-Ersi, F.; Hajlou, N.; Radbakhsh, N. (2014). Motives for using virtual social networks. Culture in Islamic University. 4(1), 95-118.
- Krejcie, R.V. and Morgan, D.W. (1970) Determining Sample Size for Research Activities. Educational and Psychological Measurement, 30, 607-610.
- Rasouli, M.R.; Moradi, M. Factors affecting content production in social networks. Social Science Letter. 2010, 56, 57-66.
- Sadegh-Zadeh, R.; Dourtaj, F.; Monadi, M. (2018). Investigating students' motivations in using the Instagram app: A qualitative research. Quartery Journal of Intercultural Studies.35, 167-190.
- Saraji, F.; Habib-Zadeh, A.; Sharifi –Rahnamou, S. (2017). Motivations for high school students to use virtual social networks. Communication –Culture studies. 39, 183-205.
- Sheldon, P., Bryant, K. (2016). Instagram: Motives for its use and relationship to narcissism and contextual age. Computers in Human Behavior, 58:89-97.
- Smock, A. D., Ellison, N. B., Lampe, C., Wohn, D. Y. (2011). Facebook as a toolkit: A uses and gratification approach to unbundling feature use. Computers in Human Behavior, 27(6), 2322-2329.
- Sun, Y., Liu, L., Peng, X., Dong, Y., Barnes, S. J. (2014). Understanding Chinese users’ continuance intention toward online social networks: anintegrative theoretical model. Electronic Markets, 24(1): 57-66.
- Wang, D.; Amon, K. L.; Keep, M. (2019). Desire to Belong Affects Instagram Behavior and Perceived Social Support. Cyberpscychology, Behavior and Social Networking, 22(7), 465-471.